Cala Figuera, which means "fig bay", is part of the municipality of Santanyí. The small town is located in the bay of the same name on the southeast coast of Mallorca and belongs to the Migjorn region. It is about 60 kilometres away from the capital Palma. The nearest neighbouring town is Santanyí, where the administrative centre is located. The tranquil village is populated by less than 800 people and is one of the most idyllic holiday resorts on the southeast coast of the island.
Development ofIn former times the fishing village with its fjord-like bay formed the port of Santanyí. A Y is formed by the two water arms Calo d´En Busques and Calo d´En Boira. The first mention of the municipality dates back to 1306. In 1569 the watchtower Torre d´en Beu was built. However, it took until the late 19th century for the first houses to be built.
In the 20th century the village became a popular tourist destination. It was most popular in the 70s and 80s. From the 90s, however, the rush gradually decreased, which in turn led to a significant structural change. Thus, several older hotels were demolished, while other buildings stood empty. Instead of hotels, the image of the fishing village has since been dominated by upscale owner-occupied and holiday apartments. However, the village still presents itself beautifully and is a worthwhile destination for a holiday on Mallorca.
What makes Cala Figuera so worth seeingThe fishing village is perfect for a relaxing holiday. Even during the day it is usually pleasantly quiet. The picturesque alleys of the Spanish village with its shops invite you to browse. The visitor will find small shops where he can buy enchanting souvenirs for his home.
Among the typical features of the municipality are the bright houses with their stone walls and many beautiful flowers on the terraces. The romantic buildings are surrounded by numerous palm trees.
SightsAlso worth seeing are buildings such as the church of Sant Andreu, built in the 18th century with a famous baroque organ, the chapel of the Rosary built in the 14th century and the imposing town hall. The Porta Murada gate with its tower dates from the 16th century.
The weekly market always takes place on Wednesdays and Saturdays. There the stalls offer food and various tourism articles.